back to minutes
Harvest Co-op Supermarkets
Board of Directors Meeting
August 4, 2003
Present: Ed Barsamian (general manager), Jeff
Rosenblum (secretary), Andrew Weaver (treasurer), Eliza
Strode (vice president), Elisa Alonso, Betsy Adams, and
Sujatha Byraven (board members), Jon Roussel (member),
David Hermann and Dawn Olsson (staff)
Absent: Mike Wiecek and Melitta Jakab
Revisions to the Agenda: Mike is absent
so there will be no President's Report
Eyes and Ears of the Board
Elisa reported that a car was towed in the Cambridge parking
lot that didn't have a sticker and the customer was very
upset. She asked whether we can put up more signage.
There was a discussion that followed whether the signage
was clear enough. Betsy said that she loves the open
window in the JP store, but watch for fruit that drops
down the front. She also suggested cleaning the ledge
next to the table in the café. Sujatha reported
that the conveyer belt in first check outline in Cambridge
hasn't been working for a month. Ed replied that part
is ordered. Eliza asked why the store was using Atlantic
Spice rather than Frontier, which is a cooperative company.
Ed answered pricing - some items are as much as 9 or
15 dollars a pound less with no difference in quality.
- Recycling - Jeff reported that the recycling changes
are coming together well in Cambridge and that there
is a plan to work with Libby's Liquor to share the baler
and trash. This is cost neutral for Harvest, but increases
the store's recycling capability.
- Community Fund - The committee would like to have something
in place for annual meeting to disperse the funds that have
- Survey - 150 shopper surveys were completed in Cambridge
and 100 in JP. A member worker is helping Jeff compile the
data. Jeff has gotten feedback that members were interested
in taking survey, but were discouraged by the length. Jeff
recommends that the board do shorter survey in the fall,
which would get a larger sample and give shoppers a chance
- Member Party - Next party is planned for August 11 in
Cambridge and will alternate to JP in September. October
will be skipped for the annual meeting. These parties give
members an opportunity to see each other, meet with staff
and the board. Dave commented that member work would be
more interesting than a party and suggested there be opportunities
for one time member work on special projects. Jeff replied
that the infrastructure is already there for member work
and that sometimes adding additional opportunities is staff
time prohibitive. The member parties are an opportunity
with minimal impact on staff.
- Board Staff Meeting - Jeff and Elisa are attending a staff
meeting in the near future.
- Information boards in checkouts - The committee talked
about putting those back up for info about specials, member
NASRO Health Care Proposal - Elisa
Eliza requested a written proposal for the next board packet.
Elisa will email out as soon as she compiles and this
matter will be revisited at the next board meeting.
Nominations and Elections - Betsy
Betsy reported that there were about eight candidates recruited
at the open houses, mostly from JP
Planning Committee: Eliza understands
that Mike has talked with Phil about reviving the Planning
Committee. Melitta is also on the committee and she will
return in September. Eliza will attend the meetings for
a few more months.
General Manager's report - Ed Barsamian
- The recycling plan is not fully implemented, but getting
- The past week there's been a movie being filmed in the
- Purchased new floor buffing machine for staff to use and
cancelled floor-cleaning service
- Paul Souza is the new produce manager who has replaced
- The JP reset will be done by the end of August
There was a discussion of recycling and whether
the new program should be announced. Jeff suggested to get
it started and put something in the newsletter after it
was fully operational.
Jeff asked if any of the staff and members attending the
meeting has questions about running for the board. Eliza
said that according to the by-laws three staff members
are allowed to be on the board at one time. She added
that there has recently been a good article form Co-op
Grocer about balancing board and staff responsibilities.
Dave asked about the deadlines for submitting paperwork.
The information and deadlines are in the board packet,
which can be picked up at the front of the store.
- Elisa will email a written NASRO proposal.
[Board moved into executive session at this
[Minutes submitted by Natalie C. Jaeger]